Aung San Suu Kyi collects honorary degree

Aung San Suu Kyi recounted her fond memories of her time at Oxford today, as she was awarded an honorary Doctorate in Civil Law amidst pomp and ceremony at the Sheldonian Theatre.

Speaking for approximately 15 minutes without notes, she described how “During the most difficult years I was upheld by memories of Oxford. These were among the most important inner resources that helped me to cope with all the challenges I had to face.

“The memories were in fact very simple ones. Some are days like these, when I went on the Cherwell with friends in a punt, or sat reading on the lawn at St Hugh’s, or in the library – not looking at a book, but out of the windows.”

Suu Kyi praised the lessons she learnt during her time at the University, saying, “The most important thing for me about Oxford was not what I learnt there in terms of set texts and set books we had to read, but in terms of a respect for the best in human civilisation.”

She added, “It gave me a confidence in humankind. It gave me a confidence in the innate wisdom of human beings – not given to all of us, but given to enough of us for the rest of the world to share, and to make use of it for others.”

The Burmese opposition leader departed for St Hugh’s after the ceremony, where she had read PPE in the 1960s. Speaking of time spent visiting her old college yesterday, she extolled the reception given to her by the Principal and his family, and the warmth of the students.

She said, “I saw myself again as a young student: carefree, happy, nice. We were nice; the students now are nice. They have been given a chance to be nice. It’s a very simple word, but it’s an important one. When you look at their faces, you don’t see any hidden agenda there. They were so open, as we were open, because we had been given a chance to be open. We were not afraid – there was no reason for us to be afraid – and this opened us to the world.”

Upon finishing her speech, Suu Kyi smiled as the Congregation rose in a standing ovation. A fellow honorand, the world-leading stroke neurologist Dr Henry Barnett who received a Doctorate of Science, rose out of his wheelchair to join the applause.

The other celebrated figures receiving honorary degrees at the ceremony were Baroness Manningham-Buller (ex-Director General of Mi5, the second woman to hold that position), Mr David Cornwell (better known as author John le Carré), Professor Drew Faust (President of Harvard University, the first woman to hold that position), Sir Howard Stringer (Chairman of Sony Corporation), Professor Charles Taylor (philosopher), and Professor William Phillips (Nobel laureate physicist).

Suu Kyi referenced Cornwell in her speech, describing how his books reminded her that she was not alone during the time she spent under house arrest. Suu Kyi spent most of the years between 1989 and 2010 either imprisoned or placed under house arrest by the military.

Oxford’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Andrew Hamilton, commented, “We are honoured to be welcoming Aung San Suu Kyi back to the University of Oxford, her alma mater, after so many years. The University awarded her an honorary degree in 1993, and for her finally to be able to collect it is a momentous occasion both for us and for her. She is returning to a city and university that was her home for several formative years; we have the honour of welcoming an alumna who is one of the great figures of the 20th and 21st centuries.”

The ceremony, known as Encaenia, was conducted mostly in Latin, and was attended by Congregation, also known as the ‘parliament of dons’. A trumpet fanfare, and singing of the National Anthem, greeted the procession and the honorands.

It is extremely rare for an honorand to be asked to address Congregation.

Aung San Suu Kyi is currently Chairman of the National League for Democracy, Burma, and member of the Burmese Parliament.