Drinking lessons for Univ undergraduates

Students at University College attended a compulsory alcohol awareness meeting on Thursday 12th January. The Dean, Professor Michael Collins, said in an email to the JCR that this action was a response to “incidents at the beginning of term” and would warn students of “the risks associated with the misuse of alcohol.”

He noted that “excessive alcohol consumption’ is ‘a problem that sadly is not confined to Oxford undergraduates” and said that drinking too much can lead to calling for the emergency services – “an important, but overstretched, public provision for which there can be more serious and, crucially, far more essential calls.

“I want to ensure that our undergraduates, and especially those living in College, are aware of the dangers of consuming alcohol, not only for themselves, but also so they can identify potential problems.”

This action comes in response to incidents which occured at the first bop of last term. Two Univ freshers were briefly taken to the John Radcliffe hospital due to excessive alcohol consumption. The Dean commented at the term, ‘no student was detained in hospital.’ In an e-mail to all first years the Dean also noted that more than thirty bins around the college were filled with vomit.

A JCR Officer commented that the action was “Reasonable rather than fair. I think it’s probably a good idea to remind Univ, especially freshers, about boozing. However it was a small group who got smashed because it was their first weekend at university and got caught up in the excitement.

“Drinking was only really an issue early on in the term and people have learnt their lessons by now. The meeting is too long after Freshers’ Week to have an effect.”

When asked why the sessions are not just for those who misbehaved during Freshers’ Week, Professor Collins said, “This would involve identifying not just those who have been seen to do so, but those who have not, or those who are potentially ‘at risk’.

“There is also the major aspect of corporate or collegiate understanding and responsibility, and my primary goal is to ensure everyone’s safety for the future. The Univ JCR Officers have been fully supportive in these aims.”

Thomas Cole, a Univ undergraduate, commented, “Some may regard themselves burning at the stake of fresher martyrdom, but I think the majority of people are adults and have had nineteen years or so to grow up. For those who take it seriously, I’m sure there is something to be learnt.

“I feel the people who got out of hand were those who tended not to drink before and seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about it. The Rugby Club and I know we are lads, and have not drunk excessively to prove it.”

Another second year added, ‘As far as I can tell, most Univ students are already aware of alcohol. I’m glad to see the college spreading the word, but I’m not sure it’s necessary.’

The two hour course, at which students were warned about wasting the time of the emergency services, was described by English student Juliet Roe as ‘the worst talk I have ever been to in my life.’