New order in cuppers

As the final remnants of an incongruously snowy scene were wiped away and replaced with the more familiar canvas of mud and turf known to Oxford’s rugby pitches, the first round of Cuppers got underway with a match that showed both the beautiful and unsightly side to the game. The splendour on this occasion was provided in spades by a New College side, playing well above their fourth-division status. The ugly element came at the game’s climax, when St Peter’s winger suffered a badly broken leg, a far from fitting conclusion to the spectacle.

Judging from this performance, it is highly appropriate that New are sponsored by Oxford’s grottiest haunt, Bar Risa. With a backline as potent as a quadruple-vodka-coke, and a pack with more beef than a post-club kebab. Peter’s, on the other hand, were ragged and rattled as they struggled to cope with their fired-up and well-drilled opposition.

Cuppers always allows stars of the university side to showcase their talents, and New were notably boosted by the presence of Blues’ fly-half, Ross Swanson. Fittingly, it was Swanson who crashed over for the first score, after a quickly taken penalty on Peter’s five-metre line. His successful conversion was added to minutes later by a coolly slotted penalty, pushing New out into an early ten-point lead. Second-year Swanson is undoubtedly a great strength for the New College side, with his skill as a player and ever-increasing experience from playing with the Blues and previously representing England Under-18s likely to ignite a lift-off through the divisions for New. But this was far from a one man cabaret. New, in their red and black stripes were akin to fifteen Dennis the Menaces, causing all sorts of mischief for their below-par opposition. They soon crossed the white-line again as Shaun Nash broke through an attacking line-out to cap a sumptuously worked set-piece.

A crucial slip in attention meant that Peter’s, wearing shirts as loose as their floundering defence, were punished by winger Owen Gallagher, as he touched down in the corner twice before the break. New, twenty-seven points to the good at half-time, were looking impressive; a different species entirely to their struggling league side.
The second half followed much in the same vein. The hosts, seemingly perpetually camped in enemy territory, saw Nash bundled in for a try by the rest of the swash-buckling forward pack. Minutes later, Swanson, supporting a break-out from defence, turned on the gas, and managed to round two covering defenders.

Sadly, the aforementioned end to the match was undeserved; either for New, or St Peter’s, who despite being far from their best, had shown plenty of pluck and fight; their pugnacious nature often denying their opponents on several potential scoring occasions. New, however, will want to build on this superb performance and demonstrate the same discipline and commitment as the competition reaches its crescendo.