OUCA ‘rowdy behaviour’ criticised

This week, more controversy surrounding the conduct of OUCA has emerged.

At a recent LUCA (London Universities Conservative Association) ball, ‘rowdy behaviour’ from the OUCA table allegedly offended several other diners and prompted complaints from a speaker.

The annual LUCA ball was a black tie affair held on 21st February and high profile speakers included Boris Johnson and Nadine Dorries, Member of Parliament for mid Bedfordshire.

OUCA received several complaints about the bad behaviour of some of its members. As a result a disciplinary committee was called, resulting in Dan Ward losing his position as publications officer.

Ward allegedly took the microphone and made a ‘drunken’ impromptu speech, thanking diners for their attendance when he had been expressly forbidden to do so by the president of OUCA.

There have also been reports that some members of OUCA heckled throughout the speeches, pounding on the table and generally behaving in a ‘rowdy’ manner.

Nadine Dorries, who spoke after the dinner, expressed her disappointment at OUCA’s conduct. Writing on her internet blog she said, “The students were all really good fun – apart from a few on one table.”

“As I left I asked which Uni they were from, I was surprised, but maybe I shouldn’t have been, when I was told the table was from Oxford.”

“The fact that they were from Oxford I suppose increased the disappointment. You kind of expect those who were born to, or have earned privilege, to behave a little better.”

Brad Johnson, returning officer for OUCA spoke of the decision to discipline Ward. He said, “Ward took the microphone without permission, he acted in a patronising way and upset many people”.

Johnson said that he believed Ward was drunk, adding: “The fact that he was an actual office holder made the offence all the worse. The ex-president of OUCA, Alex Stafford, actually had to apologise to the organisers of the event.”

In contrast, Ward remained unrepentant for his actions. Speaking to Cherwell he said, “I did pound the table and laugh, but the speech was so dull that most people did.”

“It was not a good event. Lots of people weren’t dressed properly and they gave us the wrong wine glasses.”

Ward also claimed that he was reported due to a personal matter, and was the victim of ‘rules gimpery’.