Jose Mourinho – a specialist in failure?

Jose Mourinho’s second spell at Chelsea came to an end today after a disastrous start to the season: Chelsea lie just one point above the relegation zone.

Chelsea’s season began with a draw against Swansea, a result that was followed by Mourinho’s first scapegoat, the club doctor Eva Carneiro. When defeats against Manchester City, Crystal Palace and Everton followed, it was clear Chelsea were struggling, in fact, they recorded the worst Premier League start from any reigning champion, ever. Even still, journalists and ex-professionals alike were certain that Mourinho and Chelsea would recover; surely Champions League football would still be a feasible aim. That is looking increasingly unlikely. The pundits were wrong, Mourinho has been unable to turn it around and defeats against newly promoted Bournemouth and high flying Leicester pushed the club’s management to tipping point, and now Mourinho has run out of time.

As the inevitable revelations emerge in the coming weeks, the reasons for Chelsea’s crisis will become clearer. For now though, it is clear the troubles run deep, with rumours that Mourinho lost the dressing room likely to line the national press in the days to come. After Chelsea’s defeat at the King Power Stadium, Mourinho claimed he felt ‘betrayed’ by his players. In a career full of notable outbursts, the Chelsea manager verbally attacked his players for one of the first times. In the past, whether it was the club doctor, referees or ball boys, Mourinho ensured responsibility for the club’s failings did not publicly fall upon the players in his charge. On Saturday night however, this did not seem so important, Mourinho’s relationship with his players had hit an all-time low; attacking his own players proved the final straw for the Chelsea board.

Jose’s sacking will do nothing to stave off the opinion that his leadership style is simply too divisive. He has only ever lasted three whole seasons once, with Real Madrid. Even at the Bernabeu, he alienated the dressing room, especially Iker Casillas, and parallels can be drawn to his treatment of Chelsea’s senior players, namely John Terry following the now infamous half-time substitution against Manchester City. In fact, of the four clubs he has managed for a significant period of time, there has been tension with key figures at them all, and at both Madrid and Chelsea, on-pitch failure eventually followed.

Of course, given Mourinho’s competitive nature, he will surely look to go out on his own terms. Despite his reputation for divisiveness, it is difficult to question the successes that go before him. One thing is for certain – with his penchant for drama, Mourinho’s next move is likely to be highly anticipated, and extremely public.

What next for Chelsea? The bookmakers have Guus Hiddink, having already taken the Chelsea helm in 2012, and Juande Ramos of Tottenham fame, as favourites to replace the outgoing Portguese. Perhaps this decision has come early enough in the season for Chelsea to salvage Champions League football, perhaps the board will be justified in its decision. For now though, as Chelsea prepare to face Sunderland this weekend, many fans will vocally bemoan the departure of Chelsea’s most decorated manager.