How We Won the Boat Race

Cherwell interviews victorious Blues cox Morgan Baynham-Williams

641

A: How did you first get involved with the world of rowing? Were there any other sports that you participated in prior to setting your mind on rowing? If yes, what ended up setting rowing apart?

M: I learnt to row at 10 years old at Ross Rowing Club as part of a multi-sport campaign where the junior girls football team went and tried rowing for a little bit. Then I was pretty hooked! I played every sport I had time to. I think my mum just wanted me out the house! And rowing is just pretty unique really. You get in a boat, push hard and make it move fast. But when you do that, it’s a sensation you won’t forget.

A: How about coxing? What ultimately made you interested in it?

M: I learnt to cox at the same age as I learnt to row. We’d be out on the water in a coxed quad, probably sat in the bow seat, and someone would get bored so we’d just all swap round there and then on the water. I’d joke around shouting at my friends to push harder and put some more effort in and then I just found that I was pretty good at it (for a 10 year old..). Why I’m interested now is probably quite different from when I was 10. The words that you use, how you say them and when you call something, the impact that has on an individual or a crew can be exceptional.

A: Rowing is very demanding and can be quite time consuming, especially at the level that you are competing at, how are you managing to balance the studies and coxing?

M: Just being open to my supervisors and coaches. We have a huge spreadsheet at the boat club where we fill in any key parts to our degree that we have and sessions are scheduled around those as best as possible. My supervisors know when I have big races coming up and we work with the coaches to set about working hours and things like that.

A: What was the training schedule like running up to the Boat Race?

M: 2-3 weeks before we’d have a land based session, either S & C or ergs, in the morning at around 7am and then a water session at 1pm. We’re back before 9am to get to lectures and the pm sessions are around 90mins max on the water. Boat race week was a little different as we were on a taper, so we would have one or two water sessions a day and do less mileage but with some speed work.

A: Going back to the Boat Race, your coxing has been hailed as innovative and gutsy – especially your decision to steer the boat towards the bank and away from the traditional path.  What was going through your mind during the race?

M: Get out of the shitty water! I’d tracked the middlesex bank coming around the final section of the surrey bend and could see the water wasn’t as rough so knew I should cross as quickly as possible to limit the water coming overboard and set up the race line up the inshore zone.

A: Reflecting back on the Boat Race what are the most memorable moments for you?

M: Probably telling the crew that I was going to drive us up the inshore zone and our President Maddy Badcott letting out a ‘BAAAHHH’ of approval in the moment.

A: What was the team dynamic like?

M: The team dynamic was awesome. Everyone’s different in their own little way. There are a couple of space cadets, some laid back wisdom speakers and a pretty Proud to be British Brit. We still see each other and will probably still be doing some racing and rowing together this summer.

A: You’ve had a very impressive coxing career so far with GB Rowing and here at Oxford. Now, that you’re finishing up your course, what is next? Will you keep on coxing?

M: I’ll finish up my degree here over this next two terms and then try and hit up some more coxing within the national team.

A: Do you have any advice for coxes and rowers here at Oxford?

M: Do it because you love it. Feel the boat and let it give you the feedback you need to make it go fast.

A: So, what’s the story behind the penguin?

M: Buzz! (Blue Boat Buzz). We found him in a puddle on training camp when a few of us were acting Mayor and Chancellor of Struggle Street and I picked him up and said that he’d be our mascot. So I gave him to the Pres (presidential duties) to give him a bath and got him an OUW jumper knitted. Then he had the ride of his life with us cabled tied into the boat down the tideway!