Should you go see Saw?

Just in time for Halloween, Saw 3D is hitting our screens. For supposedly (hopefully) the last instalment of the Saw saga, director Kevin Kreutert brings us what promises to be a goretastic Halloween treat.

If you were left frustrated at the incomplete nature of the first six films, by popular public request the film’s production team spend the ninety minutes of running time of Saw 3D tying up any loose ends. The main story line for the film is set around an urban shopping area where a crowd of people gather around a storefront window to find two men, Ryan and Brad, tied to a worktable, each with a saw in front of them and their lover, Dina, suspended above. As she is being lowered onto another saw, each of the men must choose to either kill the other in order to save her, or allow her to die, resulting in their freedom. Meanwhile, survivors from Jigsaw’s previous traps gather to seek the support of self-help guru and fellow survivor Bobby Dagen.

And if the promise of a expertly shot ‘saw-off’ doesn’t appeal to you, perhaps the prospect of a cameo from a mediocre celebrity? Linkin Park fans the world over will be queuing up to see their main man, Chester Bennington, take up his minor role in the film (some might use the word ‘extra’). On interview, Chester confessed, “It was actually a little more difficult than I expected because it took a lot for me to figure out how to portray this guy and what exactly his motives were going to be throughout. I thought maybe I was overthinking it, and I met with this really great acting coach who helped me walk through and make sense of the ‘motivation’…..”
It will be interesting to see how 3D imaging works for Saw: whether it serves to exaggerate or lessen the thrill. Much of the $17 million budget (the film was the most expensive Saw film yet) went on special camera equipment and 3D compatible props. One of the film’s producers, Marcus Dunstan, commented, “[3D] adds a whole new layer of discipline and criteria to creating these moments. Before, we had a very flat surface to try to get a reaction from [the audience]. Now, we get to push out a bit and envelop the viewer’. He later added that another reason for going 3D was ‘so that you can, per se, see blood coming directly at you’. Brilliant.