Get involved in a worthwhile Oxford charity tournament

Two Oxford University alumni have organised a charity football tournament with the goal of raising money for two local charities.

Jonathan Fennell, Pembroke, and Jamie Dear, LMH, (both pictured right) decided to set up a charity football league in 2012 to raise money for Jacari, a local charity here in Oxford. The Charity Football League has since arranged this year to hold its first six-a-side football tournament, in addition to the league. It will take place at the Oxford City Football Ground on Friday 17th April from 3-6pm. They already have teams from Balliol, but are still looking for competitors to take part. The tournament is for an extremely worthy cause and is something that anyone who likes playing football, and is in Oxford on the 17th, should definitely consider getting involved in, or even just supporting.

Jacari is an Oxford student charity that has been providing free home tutoring since 1956 for local children aged four to 16 who do not speak English as their first language. The charity started as a result of cooperation between the University Labour, Conservative, and Liberal clubs, and has a history of wellknown backers and high profile speakers supporting the charity.

In addition to supporting Jacari, the tournament will also be supporting SpecialEffect, another very special local charity, dedicated to using technology to enhance the quality of the life of people with severe disabilities by giving them access to video games and life-enhancing technologies. The charity was founded in 2007 and has grown substantially in following years.

Besides great competitive, fast-paced football, there will be a cash bar and trophies for the best placed teams. Team entry is £100 (up to ten players in a squad) with all proceeds going to these amazing local charities.

If you are unable to make the tournament, but would still like to support these great charities and play some football, you can also get involved in the Charity Football League’s spring 6-a-side league which will run from March to September.

This is played at the Oxford City Football Ground.

The Charity Football League is still accepting entries for this event, so if you would like to enter, go to www.charityfootballleague.co.uk/sign-up.