Taylor named new rugby captain

Rhodes Scholar Jacob Taylor, a student at Keble College, has been elected OURFC Captain for 2014. His election came after a marathon six hours of voting and discussions. This makes Jacob the sixth Australian to lead the Blues since 2000. The full-back has represented Sydney University and was vice-captain of the Australian’s Seven’s team for the duration of the 2011 IRB circuit.

Jacob follows on from John Carter, who led the Rugby Club for three years and was at the forefront of the Blues’ three consecutive victories in the December Varsity match against Cambridge. Living up to this precedent will be a challenging task for the new captain. However, the Australian has the necessary experience and more importantly, the support of the his squad to address this challenge.

Taylor told the school/university rugby site In At The Side that, “It is a huge honour to be elected by my peers.  I’m excited about the opportunity and motivated by the challenge of maintaining OURFC as a place where individuals can flourish and teams are successful.” 

Jacob is currently studying for his Masters in Cognitive and Evolutionary Anthropology and is in the process of applying to continue his studies with a DPhil in Neuroanthropology. He will lead the Blues for the first time on Wednesday night at Iffley Road against the British Army. The match kicks off at 7:15pm. It is sure to be an exciting contest.