Five things we learned from the Boat Race

1. Rowers love selfies

Cherwell’s #darkblueselfie competition clearly unleashed the inner selfie yearnings of athlete, celebrity TV presenter, asset management boss and would-be-rowing fans alike. From Helena Morrissey, CEO of Newton, to discontented Devonian Oriel historians, the selfies poured in as punters sought to capture a bit of boat race magic on camera. Fittingly the last media event of the day involved Anastasia Chitty and Constantine Louloudis, the OUWBC and OUBC presidents, taking a selfie together. Everyone wanted a piece of the action.

2. This is no longer an amateur event   

Or at least partly. The presence of MBA candidate Caryn Davies in the stroke seat of the Women’s boat suggested that the day of home-spun athlete-scholar are fading. Davies is the most decorated athlete ever to compete in the race, with two gold and one silver Olympic medals to her name. She’s also been world champion four times. Even more impressively, some might argue, she stroked the Pembroke Men’s Summer VIII. Couple this with the presence of top athletes like Henry Goodier, Sam and James O’Connor, not to mention Constantine Louloudis and it’s hard to justify this as an amateur event any more.

3. Cambridge need to get their act together

Whatever they’re doing over at Ely, it’s clearly not working. The domination of the Oxford crews became slightly embarrassing after a while. One Cherwell correspondent was caught apologising to a Cambridge loyalist, “I can’t help it if we’re so much better.” At the point at which these contests cease to become races, but rather timed processionals over the same course, you have to question the point.

4. Swimmers aren’t so bad

In theory, yes, they are; they’re a complete nuisance, get in the way, jeopardise months of training, not to mention the safety of themselves and those around them. I am, of course, referring to the infamous Trenton Oldfield of 2012 fame. But in terms of sheer viewing experience it makes for the most tantalising, edge-of-your-seat kind of stuff. Sadly multiple (sometimes even double figure) length wins, in which one crew ploughs off into the sunset and even disappear out of shot, lack that excitement. The kind of side by side, intense battle racing we saw in the 2013 Isis Vs Goldie race is now all too rare.

5. Parkend for the win

Cherwell Sport attended both the pre and post boat race parties on Friday and Saturday, unremitting in our journalistic endeavours. Sadly neither Mahiki of Mayfair nor Fez of Putney could live up to the glory of the Parkend Cheese floor, the grinding sophistication of the R&B room, or the raw intensity of the Club anthems floor. Perhaps we’re overselling it, but we’d like to see Parkend pitch to host at least one of the parties next year, impractical as it might seem. I think we all know where we’d rather be.