Students wear white ribbons in support of anti-violence

Students around Oxford have been wearing white ribbons this week to protest against violence against women.

Starting this Monday, the OUSU Women’s Campaign is encouraging students to wear white ribbons on their exam subfusc along with a carnation, and to post a selfie on Facebook with the caption, “Wearing this white ribbon, I pledge never to commit, condone, or remain silent about violence against women. The damage that gender-based violence can do should never be underestimated yet frequently is.”

Sarah Pine, OUSU VP for Women and one of the organisers of the campaign in Oxford, told Cherwell, “We’ve got through about 350 ribbons since Monday. Some JCR presidents have been particularly keen and have picked up lots for their finalists.”

She continued, “The feedback has been great; people seem really keen. Lots of people recognise how prevalent sexual violence is; one in four women experience sexual assault during their time at university. However, survivors can feel isolated because of the broader culture of stigma and silence around sexual violence. By wearing a ribbon, students show that they support survivors, even those who have never spoken out. The message of the white ribbon is powerful: never commit, condone or remain silent around violence against women.”

Susannah Moody, a second-year at St Anne’s supporting the campaign, explained why she is supporting the campaign, “the damage inflicted by gender-based violence often lasts long after any physical signs have faded. I’m wearing this ribbon in the hope that those who go through this know that they are not alone and that there are many out there who are working to raise awareness and are willing to listen.”

Moody’s views were echoed by Lucy McCann, an Exeter fresher who is planning to wear her ribbon during prelims, “This is an important symbolic act of solidarity on behalf of Oxford students and students elsewhere who have suffered gendered violence. “

The Oxford campaign was inspired by the ‘red tape’ protest at the University of Columbia in the US. Last week, students at Columbia wore red tape on their caps during graduation in protest against the University’s “woefully inadequate” response to sexual violence on campus.

To obtain a white ribbon, students can email Sarah Pine at [email protected]