Cherwell - Oxford University's Independent Student Newspaper since 1920

Article Info

Website pageviews: 2267

About the Author

Hannah White-Steele has published 11 articles

Oriel's honours

The flag of Gibraltar is flown over Oriel College to honour the newly elected chief-minister who was a member of the college in the 1990s.
Hannah White-Steele on Wednesday 21st December 2011
Photograph: Nigel Cox
Oriel College has honoured one of its alumni by flying the flag of Gibraltar above the college.
Fabian Picardo, who studied Law at Oriel from 1990 to 1993, has been elected as the Chief Minister of Gibraltar, an achievement that has been commemorated by his former college. 
The flag was flown after Mr. Picardo’s democratic election as Chief Minister, and did not act as an endorsement of the candidate pre-election. Third year Orielense Mike Gale said he thought it was a “nice gesture” which “personalised and drew [Oriel’s] attention to an otherwise obscure news story.” He added that “remembering alumni is pretty standard at Oriel.”
Colleges have previously honoured the achievements of foreign alumni in the same way: University College flew the American stars and stripes when Bill Clinton was elected as President. 

Comments