Oxford scores low in university sex survey

Oxford University has come twenty-third in the second annual University Sex League.

The survey, conducted by Student Beans, ranked universities according to the average number of sexual partners students have had since starting their course. Student Beans interviewed 6,129 UK students from over 100 universities on their sex lives, relationships and sexual health.

The survey found that Oxford students have had an average of 5.89 sexual partners since starting university, well ahead of Cambridge, in fifty-fourth place with an average of 4.70 partners, but behind Oxford Brookes, who came seventh with an average of 7.42.

Nevertheless, Oxford University beat the national average of 4.88 sexual partners, and has climbed from thirty-third place in the 2013 league, where Oxonians reported an average of 4.17. In 2013, the national average was 3.68. Brighton University topped this year’s survey, with an average of 10.59 sexual partners, having climbed from twentieth place in the 2013 survey. Last year, Roehampton University came first place, with students there reporting an average of 6.32 sexual partners since starting university; a score which would not even qualify for the top ten in this year’s results.

Commenting on the statistics, second year linguist Erin Goldfinch told Cherwell, “seems about right to me!”

James Read, editor of Student Beans, said, “Sex remains a hot issue for Britain’s students, evidenced by the over 6000 responses to this survey. University is often about freedom and experimentation, and sex and relationships are a key part of this. We’ve seen that students are generally pretty adventurous, with spanking, anal and threesomes all on the up.”

He added, “They are also keen to use tech as a sex aid, with forty per cent having talked dirty online, and nearly two thirds sending explicit pics of themselves to a partner. This has mirrored the rise of dating apps, which three times as many students prefer over dating sites.”