Oxford University to pay Living Wage

Oxford University has confirmed that it is going to become an accredited Living Wage employer in April 2015. Oriel and Wadham have also announced that they will be following Hertford in becoming accredited. 

Stephen Goss, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Personnel and Equality) commented, “I am very pleased that the University is taking this step. It guarantees the Living Wage to all our employees and will ensure that, as we revise or set up new agreements, the staff of contractors who work regularly on our premises also receive the Living Wage.

“Today’s announcement represents the culmination of several years of constructive working with students who, with the support of OUSU, have been campaigning for this important change.”

Ruth Meredith, VP (Charities & Community) was exultant at the news. She said, “OUSU’s Living Wage campaign has been campaigning since 2011 for Oxford University to become an accredited Living Wage employer.

“Today, we have finally won. The decision will improve the lives of people across Oxford. By accrediting, Oxford University is making an unequivocal statement that poverty wages are unacceptable, and have no place in our community. They are listening to the voices of the people who work with and for them, and taking it seriously. 

“Along with Hertford, Wadham and Oriel have shown that sustained student and staff engagement and activism yields results.

“I believe that this is the last answer to those who say that “it can’t be done”, or that “it’s not for Oxford”. Hertford have shown that colleges can accredit, and now the University has proved that the Living Wage is for Oxford. I look forward to more colleges taking the same step this year.”   

Fergal O’Dwyer, Oxford Living Wage Campaign Co-Chair said, “This is the most significant event in the campaign’s history. Getting the University to accredit has always been our most salient aim, and I’m proud of the work that the campaign has done toward achieving this.” 

However with only 3 out of 44 colleges and PPHs accredited Living Wage employers the campaign still has work to do. As Sam Couldrick, Dwyer’s fellow Co-Chair, commented, “While this is a great victory which ought to be celebrated, there is still more to fight for. Some colleges still refuse even to pay the Living Wage. I hope that this announcement encourages all colleges to think seriously about the respect and security they give to their staff. The announcement gives us a huge momentum boost that can hopefully be translated into wider spread, long-lasting change. For the first time in the campaign’s history, the tide is with us.”

The news comes shortly after Cherwell‘s investigation into the treatment of college staff.