Oxide radio suspended for forseeable future

Student Radio Station Oxide has suspended all shows for the “foreseeable future” due to “sporadic technical difficulties” with the office’s computer. OUSU IT staff are reportedly trying to fix the problems, and despite hopes that the hiatus will be short-lived, the problems have upset students and presenters.

Apologising for problems with the studio’s computer, Oxide Pro-gramme Controller Tom Brookes told contributors on Monday, “I’m really sorry about this […] in the last few days the state of the Mac has deteriorated significantly. It is with great frustration, therefore, that we are forced to suspend all shows for the foreseeable future, while the OUSU IT staff try to sort it out.

“Although this is a situation that none of us wanted, however, I am confident that it won’t be long before it is resolved. We’ve had good news on that front today [Monday], and once the problems are sorted we can get on with some great radio for the remainder of term. It shouldn’t be too long before we’re back on air.”

Meanwhile, an anonymous ‘inside-source’ told Cherwell, “Oxide has the capacity to be one of the most vibrant and engaging student media outlets within the University. The problem is that it’s never been given the proper support or funding it deserves. None of the technology in the studio is designed for a radio station — it’s a patch-work job that was stitched together several years ago and therefore keeps falling apart.

“It’s a total anomaly that such a vibrant student community has such a poorly resourced student radio station, particularly when the only other major student broadcasting outlets are simply off-shoots of The Oxford Student and Cherwell.”

Magdalen student Max Long echoed the need for better investment, telling Cherwell, “As a former presenter on Oxide, it’s a real shame to hear that the station will have to cancel their broadcasts for the time being due to a wonky computer. The fact that Oxide’s equipment is so sub-par is very telling with regards to the regard with which the station is held. An investment in proper radio equipment, rather than what is essentially a bedroom broadcast could result in the odd person actually listening to Oxide. Maybe their neighbouring and well-endowed union-run newspaper could spare them a Mac.”

Eleanor Sharman, a Philosophy and Theology student at Oriel, found the news hard to stomach commenting, “I co-host the best breakfast show around, ‘Full English Deckfast’, and the faulty computer’s bacon me really sad. I want Oxide to ketchup to the needs of the student body soon, as I’m not sure our three listeners can last much longer. Still, we’ve used up all our comedic talent for the week on this quote, so it’s probably for the best that we don’t have to broadcast for a while.”

Responding to frustrated presenters and listeners, Oxide Radio tweeted on Wednesday, “There are widespread concerns at the Oxide offices that there’ll be rioting in the streets if our computer is not fixed soon!”