Revealed: Cocaine in the Bod

An investigation by Cherwell into drug use around Oxford has discovered suggestions of traces of cocaine in a number of locations. The tests, which were carried out using chemical cocaine swabs over three days, are part of the most comprehensive investigation into student drug habits among Oxford students in recent years. The investigation includes an anonymous survey of 650 students from across the University.

Tests were carried out in ten different locations, six of which produced in positive results for cocaine. These locations were the Oxford Union, the Old Bodleian Library, the Bodleian Radcliffe Camera, the Manor Road Building (where the Social Sciences Library is located), the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art, and the Oxford University Language centre. This evidence of cocaine in university libraries is particularly alarming, as it is suggestive of non-recreational cocaine consumption.

The swabs, which offer an immediate result confirming or denying the presence of cocaine traces, were used to wipe surfaces in all locations in the bathrooms, including toilet seats, cisterns, and other flat surfaces. The tests were purchased from crackdown-drugtesting.com, a drug detection company based in Lancashire established by former policeman Dave Rigg. Pictures of the positive results were sent to the manufacturer in order to check their veracity.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%8908%%[/mm-hide-text]

Cocaine swab result for the Old Bodleian Library

Mr Rigg, speaking to Cherwell, said that the cocaine tests used in the investigation are “well-known and used in the scientific community”, and have an accuracy of 95 per cent in detecting street-level cocaine.

In light of Cherwell’s findings, a spokesperson for Oxford University commented, “We do not believe there is a problem of widespread cocaine use at Oxford University, and note that the accuracy of the cocaine test swabs would probably not stand up as evidence in court. The findings are of concern, however, and the relevant University authorities have requested more information about how this investigation was carried out.

The University advises those who are abusing any substance to seek help. There is a range of support available, promoted by the University, the colleges and the student union.”

The swabs are soaked in Cobalt thiocyanate, a pink substance, and turn blue when in contact with cocaine. Whilst the cocaine swabs act as a presumptive test, their accuracy means that they are a strong indicator that cocaine has been used in places where a positive result is detected.

David Rigg stressed, “It has been (wrongly) suggested in the past that a) the cocaine ‘blew in’ from the outside and was deposited on the surface and b) cocaine has been deposited by placing a bank note on a surface.

“Our swabs are designed to work at milligram levels of cocaine, so a substantial amount must have been present on the surface initially. The presence of cocaine on banknotes are recorded at nanogram levels which would not ‘trip’ the chemistry of the swab.”

Tests carried out in the Turl Street Kitchen, the English Faculty Library, the Examinations Schools and the Oxford University Student Union resulted in no cocaine traces being detected.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%8909%%[/mm-hide-text]

Cocaine swab result for the Oxford Union

A similar investigation into cocaine usage carried out by Cherwell in 2008 discovered evidence of cocaine in both OUSU and the Oxford Union. Comparable surveys have also been conducted in the past by student journalists in Exeter and York universities, where evidence of cocaine on university property was revealed. Similar swabs were also used by a German television station to test for cocaine in the European Parliament in 2005.

A spokesperson for the Oxford Union told Cherwell, “Any form of drug use on the premises of the Oxford Union constitutes serious misconduct and is absolutely not tolerated. As the buildings are open to all members and their guests, and are often hired out, there is a possibility that such instances could occur, despite the fact that there are always security staff on our premises. If an incident involving drug use is discovered, it is taken extremely seriously, and we co-operate closely with the police on the issue.”