Union in disarray following President’s arrest

The Oxford Union has been rocked this week by the arrest of President Ben Sullivan on suspicion of rape and attempted rape.

Addressing the audience at a debate on Thursday night, President-elect Mayank Banerjee announced that, “I am the acting President of the Oxford Union until further notice.

“It would be useless for me to pretend that tonight is business as usual.”
Sullivan, who is studying History and Politics at Christ Church, was taken in for questioning by Thames Valley Police early on Wednesday morning. Thames Valley Police later confirmed that, “A 21-year-old from Oxford has been arrested today on suspicion of rape and attempted rape.”

In a statement to Cherwell, the Dean of Christ Church, the Very Revd Christopher Lewis, commented, “We have nothing to add to the police statement, which is that ‘a 21 year old has been arrested today on suspicion of rape and attempted rape’, except that the person concerned is a member of this college.”

Sullivan was released on police bail without charge the same day. He had been due to face Union members in an open meeting on Thursday, but this was cancelled following the arrest.

Sullivan’s authority was challenged earlier in the week as the Standing Committee revoked a prior decision to cover £1,000 + VAT of legal expenses against student website The Tab. Sullivan agreed to cover his own legal costs following the presentation of a Special Adjournment motion signed by Union Members in protest.

Tensions came to a head the following day, when Union Librarian Kostas Chryssanthopoulos walked out of a Union debate following an impassioned speech that criticised the President’s leadership. He said, “I refuse to sit next to a President who does not believe in freedom of speech. And I refuse to sit next to a President who has lied to members and tried to cover it all up with our money.”

Chryssanthopoulos resigned the following day. In his resignation letter, he stated, “I refuse to hold this position any further, having suffered repeated and continued attacks which have been personal from the start.”

In a statement at the time, Sullivan told Cherwell, “I am extremely sorry that Kostas has resigned. It is a great shame that our friendship has ended in this manner. The Union is grateful for everything he has done for the society and I wish him all the best for the future.”

Sullivan will remain on police bail until 18th June.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG%%9636%%[/mm-hide-text]

In his speech to the chamber on Thursday, Banerjee, acting as Union President, said, “I would just like to clarify one important point. We live in a country with a legal system where a person is innocent until proven guilty. Ben Sullivan has not yet been proven guilty. This may change in the future and if it does I sincerely hope he is punished to the full extent, with the full force of the law. However, this is not the case at present.”

The Thursday debate continued as usual, although a Summer Drinks event was cancelled.

OUSU Women’s Campaign and It Happens Here have since published an open letter to the Oxford Union in The Oxford Student in which they invite members of the committee to attend OUSU sexual consent workshops.