Oriel JCR condemns college administrators

The Oriel JCR voted on motions Monday night to condemn the college for its actions in regards to its decision to keep standing the controversial statue of Cecil Rhodes.

They were proposed by JCR president Kathryn Welsh, who said that “this is about fact that college did not listen to students” and how the administration “shut down a mode of communication”. She argued that the college going back on its promise to hold listening exercises “sets a dangerous precedent” and that the motions were not necessarily about RMF.

It was raised that students have only heard information anecdotally and Welsh added that, “College should explain why they haven’t listened to students.”

When it came to voting, the first motion was adjourned, after a vote passed by a majority not to vote on the question. The motion read, ”This JCR condemns Governing Body for failing to listen to the voices of students in relation to the issues surrounding the fate of the statue and plaque commemorating Cecil Rhodes and, in doing this, revoking the opportunity that was promised to students in the six month listening exercise.”

The next motion, however, passed with a significant majority after an amendment to replace “College” with “governing body”, but the third failed.

This second motion, in its original form, said, “This JCR condemns the College for failing to inform the JCR President that an unscheduled Governing Body meeting took place”.

Debate began on the third motion which would have similarly “condemned” the college for “the gross breach of trust that led to The Telegraph acquiring and publishing Governing Body papers”.

It did not pass, and instead of continuing with the final motion concerning the college, which called for the creation of “the position of ‘Tutor for Equality’, and [consultation of] the student body at every stage of the creation and implementation of this position,” the JCR moved on to other motions.

The Oriel JCR president has been contacted for comment.