Cambridge beats Oxford in University ranking

Cambridge has beaten Oxford to the top of a recent University League table.

The Complete University Guide creates the league table each year ranking universities in a number of areas, including graduate prospects, student satisfaction and entry requirements.

Cambridge has topped the table for the fourth year running, with an overall score of 1000 compared to Oxford’s 993. They outperformed Oxford in the categories of entry standards, graduate prospects, student satisfaction, research assessment, student-staff ratio and facilities spending.

However, Oxford beats its rival in the categories of good honours and academic services spending.

A spokesperson for the University of Oxford told Cherwell, “University league table results all vary, depending on the factors they use to calculate their rankings. For example, the Times Higher Education world rankings has rated Oxford as the strongest university in the UK for the past three years and the second strongest in the world for the past two.

“Despite the differences between them, all league tables consistently show Oxford in the very forefront of the world’s universities, both for the quality of its teaching and the excellence of its research.”

The London School of Economics has retained its place in third and St Andrews have moved from sixth to fourth in the space of a year.

London Metropolitan was ranked last in the table of the 123 UK universities.

Oxford fresher, James Edmonds, commented, “Cambridge doesn’t have the allure of Wednesday Night Park End to contend with.”