‘Blinds’ lead to fines for Keble second years

‘Blinds’ are an event whereby second years invite all of their subject freshers to a party where subject related drinking games are played. Tasks and challenges are also sometimes set, with last year’s PPE freshers being asked to entertain the second years with a musical performance (with a drink penalty if it wasn’t satisfactory).

This year, blinds were explicitly banned in an email sent around to all second years by the college Dean, Stephen Payne. The email stated, “‘Blinds’ and other drinking games which put pressure on individuals to consume more alcohol than they would otherwise choose are strictly prohibited.

“Such practices, particularly when used in the context of an ‘initiation’ of some sort, constitute a form of harassment. Any individuals found engaging in these activities will be subject to Decanal sanctions.”

However, Chemistry students had drinks on Tuesday 22 October. In the course of the evening, one fresher fell, hit his head and had to be taken to hospital by a second year student.

PPE and E&M students also decided to hold drinks, yet referred only to a ‘Subject welcome evening’ in invites sent out to freshers. At the event, held last Friday, a declaration was read out to emphasise to all freshers present that they were not required to drink alcohol, and if they did not want to they wouldn’t have to.

However, the event was cut short by the Senior Dean and the two Junior Deans early on in the proceedings. In an email sent to the second year PPE and E&M students, the Dean said, “This is unacceptable behaviour and in clear breach of the college regulations.”

He then imposed three decanal sanctions in a later email, sent after a meeting with the students. It stated, “1. I am issuing a fine of £200, 2. I am reporting the matter in full to your Directors of Studies, 3. I am cancelling this year’s PPE/E+M Black Tie Dinner. Such a dinner will only be allowed to take place in 2014-15 if there is no repeat of ‘blinds’ next Michaelmas Term.”

Chemistry students received similar penalties, yet were fined £25 each instead of the £200 group fine due to the incident with the fresher. 

Sean Ford, Keble JCR President, told Cherwell, “The Dean enforces the college regulations to which we all agree on arrival at the college. Those that were punished knew the consequences of their actions and to this extent it seems only reasonable what has happened. As far as I am aware no one is challenging the decision and therefore everyone seems to have accepted the outcome.”