OUSU VP role up for grads

Following Yasser Bhatti’s resignation, due to take effect on Monday 19th January, attention has turned to his replacement. A by-election is expected to be held later this term to decide who will replace him as OUSU Vice-President for Graduates.

Nick Cooper, the VP-elect for the Academic year 2015-2016, has categorically ruled out running, stating, “As per OUSU Election Regulation 18.6, Sabbs-elect aren’t eligible to run in by-elections such as this one.”

The role of Vice-President for Graduates is to be fulfilled in the interim by Louis Trup, OUSU President, and James Blythe, OUSU Vice-President (Access & Academic Affairs).

Bhatti, who was on the ‘Jane4Change’ slate, was elected in Michaelmas Term 2013 and was meant to fulfil the rôle of Vice President for Graduates for the academic year 2014-15. In the 2013 OUSU elections, Bhatti was elected to the position with 231 votes.

OUSU President Louis Trup commented, “Yasser has been a valuable member of the OUSU team, working tirelessly to represent the graduate students at this university. It has been an honour to work with such a capable, innovative and dedicated person. Alongside everyone at OUSU, I wish him all the best in the future.”

Yasser Bhatti told Cherwell, “Regrettably, I made the decision to step down as I feel I am unable to juggle the role of VP Graduates along with my family responsibilities.

“I apologise for stepping down from the opportunity to further strengthen and serve students and the University, but the intensity of this role is just too much for me and more importantly for my two little girls.”