Bar Review: Pembroke

My trip to Pembroke bar had a worrying start when I walked into a completely empty room, with Rick Astley creepily playing in the background. Rather disappointing for 9pm on a Thursday. Where were the blazered Bridge-goers? Where were the bearded Cellar-dwellers?

Alas, neither of my questions were answered, as the bar remained uncomfortably quiet all evening, which seemed odd especially given its central location. Despite this, the lack of customers did allow me to admire what must surely have been a recent renovation. With bare-bricked arches and a stainless steel bar, they’ve come quite close to the continental riverside effect, and if there’d been some Heineken and a couple more stoners I realistically might have been in Amsterdam.

That said, Pembroke’s bar is plagued with the classic ‘spare room’ problem. Quite small and impractically narrow, it borders on claustrophobic as soon asyou walk in. To make matters worse, the sound system has about the same quality as a builder’s radio, 100 metres away, being played painfully through an extensive network of tin cans.

I then understood why the Cellar-ites weren’t so keen on hanging out here. I was somewhat impressed with the beer selection, which included two lagers and one ale on tap, and five or six different bottled beers in the fridge, all of which were slightly cheaper than your average student bar.

The spirit choice, on the other hand, was fairly predictable – the same choice offered by nearly every college bar. The bartender was quiet, and although he didn’t offer the most welcoming of atmospheres, his ‘seen-it-all-before-and-don’t-give-a-fuck’ attitude was admirable in a way.

But the biggest credit must go to their signature drink, the Pembroke Pinky. It’s a half-pint concoction including a triple vodka, grenadine, and ginger ale,vwhich, instead of taking the usual tactic of masking an inordinate amount of alcohol behind utter sickliness, has a more moderate, spicy flavour, thanks to the ginger ale. And because it’s only half a pint, you don’t have to gulp down excessive amounts of liquid before finding the courage to dance. I always find that where alcohol is concerned, efficiency is key. And for £3.50 it packed a punch in terms of value as well as of booze.

Rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2/5)

Although very little stood out as especially impressive here, it’s a good-looking bar in a central location, with an almost adequate array of drinks at respectable prices, so a tentative bravo to Pembroke.