Review: Great Gatsby

Last year, F Scott Fitzgerald’s Jazz Age classic of flappers and bootleggers hit the mainstream, first through Baz Luhrmann’s flamboyant film production and then though the staged 8-hour retelling of the novel itself, Gatz. Now it has come to Oxford. Jay Gatsby is played by Percy Stubbs, who has nailed the art of staring into the distance. He acts convincingly as the mysterious millionaire, though perhaps the copious amounts of stage make-up are a bit unnecessary in the cosy setting of LMH’s Simpkins Lee Theatre.

The role of Nick is divided in two: older Nick, the narrator (Henry van Oosterom) and younger Nick, the actor (Keelan Kember). Both act well and the narration of Fitzgerald’s florid prose is particularly engaging. This reminiscing narrator occasionally melts into the audience when he perches on a second-row
seat, puffing away on his e-cigarette. During the climactic confrontation between Tom, Daisy, and Gatsby, the poignant performance of Daisy (Hannah Schofield) particularly stands out. If anything she is too likeable as the heroine whose ‘voice is full of money’.

Jordan, superbly played by Kimberly Sadovich fits my vision of the character perfectly and Colm Britchfield, though he only makes sporadic appearances on stage as the minor roles of Michaelis and Mr McKee, is very amusing. Unfortunately, though, this staging of the twenties is not quite as roaring as one might have hoped. This is the fault of the limits on rehearsal time and budget inherent to a student production. The occasional slips of accent and memory lapses can be attributed to first-night jitters. What can’t be excused by first-night jitters is the length of the play, which, at a running time of two hours, is a little long. Gatsby it certainly is. Great, almost.