The OUSU Team: Dan Tomlinson

Can you tell us a little bit about your role at OUSU?

I manage the wonderful and exciting Raise and Give (RAG) and help them to put on fantastic events such as the RAG Ball and Jailbreak! I also represent students to local community folk as well as manage OUSU’s Community Warden Scheme – 8 students that OUSU pays to work on student/community relations in areas where student choose to live out.  I also assist the Environment and Ethics campaign as well as the Living Wage campaign.

Basically, I get to spend a whole year of my life helping students to do good things here in Oxford!

In what sort of situation might you be able to help the average undergraduate (or graduate, for Graduates VP)?

I can help students if they want a cheap, good quality, bike lock – they can get them from OUSU – check out ousu.org/shopping. I can also help students living out or any students that wants to campaign on local community or environmental issues.

What do you think is the best thing about being a student in Oxford?

I think the best thing about being a student in Oxford is our city, just look at it. There are so many things to get involved with and there is so much change that students could make happen here.

And the worst?

The worst thing about being a student here is that you can get lost with all of the different things people want you to join in with and just end up doing none of them. Don’t let that happen to you!

What is the one memory of your time in Oxford that best sums up the experience?

Taking part in RAG’s Jailbreak. Hitch-hiking my way though Oxford, London, Budapest, Vienna, Nuremberg and Frankfurt in 36 hours to try and raise as much money for charity as possible.