Westgate Oxford confirms five rooftop garden restaurants

The new rooftop garden will include international restaurants, bars, and cafes

The Westgate shopping centre’s redevelopment team has confirmed the names of five new bars and restaurants in the new rooftop garden, which opens in October 2017.

Alongside The Alchemist cocktail bar, the rooftop garden will play host to Cinnamon Kitchen, Polpo, and Pizza Pilgrims which offer Indian, Venetian, and Italian food respectively.There will also be an outlet of The Breakfast Club cafe chain.

Three units remain vacant, and Leisure property agent Davis Coffer Lyons is currently conducting advanced negotiations with interested parties.

The rooftop garden promises panoramic views of Oxford city centre, a grass quadrangle, and a canopy area where live performances and cinema screenings are expected to take place.

First year historian Oliver Loeb-Mills told Cherwell, “The Westgate redevelopment may well be outside of the normal student budget and given the wide range of cheaper food options in Oxford, the ‘rooftop garden’ may not prove too popular.”

The rooftop garden is one part of an 800,000 square foot redevelopment of the Westgate centre costing a £440 million, which will open its doors in Michaelmas term next year.

It will comprise over 100 retails stores including a 100,000 square foot John Lewis, along with 25 restaurants, bars, and cafes. There will also be 61 residential units located on the site, and 1,000 new cycle spaces for Oxford residents.

The Westgate redevelopment’s other retail outlets include will Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, and Michael Kors. The centre will also contain Oxford’s fourth Blackwell bookshop.

The Westgate shopping centre was contacted for comment.