Recipe: Vegan Brownies

Jess Mundy shares a recipe for chocolatey heaven

This recipe cooks up the tastiest batch of brownies – totally gooey and extremely rich. Even better, this recipe ditches eggs, butter and milk for some vegan alternatives so everyone can enjoy them!

Ingredients:

2 tbsp of cocoa powder

150g vegan chocolate

Pinch of salt

50ml of soy, almond or coconut milk 1⁄2 tbsp of vanilla essence

2 avocados

100g white sugar

85g brown sugar

120g plain flour

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Line a small (maybe 20cmx20cm) baking tray with greaseproof paper (using margarine if you’re strictly vegan).

3. In a saucepan, melt the vegan chocolate gently over a low heat while stirring to prevent burning. Once melted, pour in the milk and mix together.

4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and then add the vanilla essence, and both sugars. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth (no lumps please!)

5. Mash up the two avocados with a fork, or puree them in a blender. Just make sure there are no large chunks! Then add the avocados to the saucepan and stir together.

6. In a mixing bowl, sieve the plain flour, cocoa powder and pinch of salt and mix together.

7. Add these dry ingredients to the liquid brownie mixture, while stirring, until they are totally combined.

8. Now pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for around 25 minutes (al- though they may need less time, so keep an eye on them!)

9. To test whether your vegan brownies are just right, stick a clean knife into the middle of the baking tray – it should come out damp but with none of the brownie mixture sticking to it.

10. Allow the brownies to cool before cut- ting them into squares – but enjoy while still slightly warm and gooey on the inside!