Culture Corner: The Lobster

We developed a code so that we can communicate with each other even in front of the others without them knowing what we are saying. When we turn our heads to the left it means ‘I love you more than anything in the world’ and when we turn our heads to the right it means ‘watch out, we’re in danger’ 

The Lobster

The 2015 Cannes Film Festival Jury Prize winner The Lobster (2015) depicts a couple who fi nd themselves trapped between two dystopian worlds: the world of the forever-paired and the world of the foreveralone. Both escape the confi nes of an oppressive hotel which forces single guests to fi nd their life partner in only 45 days and turns the ‘unsuccessful’ into animals of their choosing. Their refuge lies in the nearby forests, and both become members of a community of singles who restrict physical contact and punish members who engage in any relationships which are not platonic. With an impressive cast including Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, and Léa Seydoux, The Lobster explores the bizarre concept of love and its unrealistic expectations.

Between the scenes of farcical comedy – where love is forced – and dark dystopian horror – where love is forbidden – the organic love between the Short-Sighted Woman and David is utterly sweet. Their love story which exists without expectation in a brutal nearfuture where expectations suppress and dominate true emotion is brave, unique and honest. David and the Short-Sighted Woman choose to listen to the same music and dance together, which becomes an adorable act of rebellion. For just one moment, we are able to see the possibility of a utopian world, created by two people in love with electronic music.