First Varsity hurdle fast approaching

In a development that will leave Oxford outreach officers from Somerville to St Hugh’s with their heads in their hands, Friday 17th October will see the first ever Varsity horse race, set to take place at the world-famous Newmarket race course.

The race, brainchild of Oxford student Harry Beckett, will form the final event of the Dubai Future Champions Day, a high-profile sporting extravaganza comprised of six races, whichmanaged to attract crowds of over 10,000 people last year.

The Oxford team, captained by experienced Christ Church jockey Lizzie Hamilton, and expertly coached by Great British Racing, has been training intensively for the inaugural race at Oaksey House in Lambourne. Though seven jockeys are in the squad, only five will make the cut for the race itself. But no mat- ter who does ride out to face the Tabs on race day, all seven jockeys have already been part of something momentous — an achievement made all the more impressive by the fierce competition for squad inclusion.

The race will be broadcast live on everyone’s favourite horseracing channel — Racing UK — and will appear the following day on Channel 4. For those seeking a more professional touch, the Cherwell broadcasting team will also be providing coverage.

According to the event’s organisers, students can sign up online for free entry to both Newmarket on race-day, and to Ascot the following day for the QIPCO British Champions Day.

Prospective attendees of this event are warned to book before October 10th. It would be a shame to miss the newest Varsity event on the calendar, after all.