Preview: Dealer’s Choice

★★★★☆
Four Stars

According to Cameron Cook, who directs Dealer’s Choice as well as playing Mugsy, the bril­liance of the script is that “the words are very funny”. This sums up the ap­peal of the play, which is being per­formed at the Burton Taylor in 8th week.

There is something ineffably pleas­ing about the dialogue Patrick Mar­ber has written. Marber is, like Cook, an ex-Revue man, and the script is clearly the product of a mind used to fast-paced sketch humour. The scenes I saw did not contain con­trived set pieces, absurd slapstick or even many laugh-out-loud lines. Rather, as a motley crowd of huck­sters, shysters and gamblers gather in London’s East End for a poker game, there is a constant flow of con­versation as the cast rattle through a script which doesn’t waste its words.

As an audience member, it is a strangely soothing experience. We are privy to the private conversa­tions of characters who are clearly very close, exchanging insults and one-liners in (often questionable) Cockney accents. It is like being amongst friends; the experience is curiously restful whilst also provid­ing a chuckle on almost every line. That said, the actors face an uphill struggle to make a low-key play set around kitchen tables and bat­tered sofas visually engaging, and the scenes I saw would benefit from stronger direction.

A delightfully sardonic vocal performance from Markian Mysko von Schultze as Sweeney, for exam­ple, was marred by weak physical interpretation — despite playing a chef, there was no need for him to mime vegetable preparation for ten minutes. Cook himself sometimes slipped into clichéd use of gesture. In general, the onus is on the di­rector to add dynamism to scenes which are currently well-rehearsed but lack vitality.

The action develops significantly from the relatively light-hearted opening, as themes of gambling, avarice and sexual tension come up throughout the play. Of the three ac­tors I saw perform, Andy Laithwaite as Frankie appears to have best in­corporated these subtleties into his character, with his wisecracks tem­pered by an undercurrent of brood­ing arrogance. The well-delivered lines with Cook attempting to co­erce von Schultze into playing in the pivotal poker game exposed themes of addiction, and showcased the complex emotions in the play.

The play hinges on quick-fire hu­mour but also on relationships, as we realise these men are “all losers” in life, not just at the poker table. Cook has done well to assemble a competent and engaging cast who can handle the darker side of this blackly comic piece as well as the jokes.

Cook described the script as “tight” in its quickfire humour. What is required now is innovative and assertive direction to ensure the play is equally tight in perfor­mance. I am confident this impres­sive cast will, come opening night, find the effervescence and pace the play needs to come alive.