RAG raises and gives £90,000 this year

Oxford RAG has raised £90,000 this year for charity, it has been announced.

The society, which runs a range of fund raising efforts across the University, has reported a record fundraising effort from a variety of events ranging from the RAG Ball in Michelmas term to the RAG Casino events across the year.

In particular, the RAG skydiving event raised £9000 alone. Organiser Amy Watson said, “I think this is great – it shows how fun RAG events are and how much interest there is across the University for taking part in something whilst raising money for those who need it most.”

The society is also celebrating its success in helping Oxford to become the most successful University in the country in terms of numbers of people involved in Movember last year, an achievement which one RAG committee member called “bloody marvellous.”

The money raised has been given to both local charities, such as the Oxford Food Bank, and to global concerns, such as Education Partnerships Africa.

A spokesperson for Education Partnerships Africa said “we are truly grateful for, and amazed by, all the money which RAG raises on behalf of Oxford University students.”

“Itʼs an incredible achievement for the society to have raised so much, especially in this economic climate,” he added. “Without such generosity charities like ours could not exist,” he concluded.

The RAG President for this year said, “We are all really proud of the £90,000 raised. Itʼs only come about because of the hard work of a number of people across the University. Florence Avery was RAG President last year and her work should not be forgotten in reaching this incredible milestone.”

“The new committee are all excited to begin fund raising for this year, though, and hope to scale even higher mountains,” he added.