Oxford University Royal Navy Unit sells poppies

Members of the Oxford University Royal Navy Unit have been supporting the Royal British Legion by selling poppies in Oxford along with other volunteers. 

The unit visited Oxford railway station on Thursday to collect money for the Legion’s Poppy Appeal.

The Unit, which drills every Thursday during term time, is made up of 51 students from Oxford University, Oxford Brookes and Reading University. It has been going since 1994, and is based in Falklands House on Oxpens Road.

Sub Lt. Patrick Vickers, who took part, told Cherwell “I believe we sold in the region of 1000 poppies. How much we raised is unconfirmed but I am hoping for between £1500 and £2000.

“There was a huge drive this year to have members of the armed forces selling poppies throughout London. We decided that it made more sense for us to sell poppies in Oxford as it made better use of our resources and we were able to promote Remembrance Day in our own city.

“I was very pleased with the Unit’s efforts, all working together as a team to help one another out and maintain a continuous 12 hour watch. I was able to have a minimum of two personnel collecting throughout the day and at the peak times, at least six.”

Each year approximately 45 million poppies are distributed to raise money for the Royal British Legion.

The organization, which was founded in 1921, provides life-long care and support to serving members of the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force, reservists, veterans of all ages and their families.