Oxford academics happiest in UK, says survey

A recent survey shows that Oxford academics appear to be the happiest in the country.

The study, carried out by the UCU (University and College Union) identifies hidden stress levels amongst academics and academic-related staff. Completed by over 14,000 university employees, it reveals that staff from around 75 institutions, including Oxford Brookes University and Canterbury Christ Church University, are suffering from the strains of heavy workloads, time pressures and management issues.

According to the UCU survey the University of Oxford is amongst the institutions with the happiest staff, along with the universities of Brunel, Cardiff, Bath and Cambridge.

A spokesperson for the University stated, “One of the University’s overarching strategic objectives is to attract, develop and retain academic staff of the highest international calibre and make the University and its colleges employers of choice for all staff in the international, national and local environments, so hopefully Oxford’s staff are happier as a result.”

Although the University of Oxford is not amongst the institutions suffering from increased stress levels, a report by the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) found that academics throughout the country were experiencing higher levels of stress than employees working in other professions.

The well-being assessment in the HSE which is taken on a scale of one to five (five being the highest stress level), revealed that academics suffered from a stress level of 2.61, whereas the overall economy levelled at 3.52. Stress levels of university staff have worsened in the four years since the report.

Financial difficulties have become ever more apparent in the recent news of teaching and Lecturers’ Unions balloting members over a prospective strike due to the 1% pay offer from employers for the 2012-13 academic year.

Lecturers are currently voting on whether they are prepared to accept a fourth year of the below-inflation pay rise, the result of which could lead to industrial action.

UCU general secretary Sally Hunt said, “The result of all this pressure can only drive down standards for students.”

She continued, “With funding cuts, increased workloads and rising expectations from students and parents paying much more for their education, the situation is likely to become even worse.”

Following recent cuts, the Higher Education Statistics Agency revealed in its figures that there has been a 1.2% decrease in the total expenditure of staff costs between 2007/8 and 2010/11.

Academics are under pressure to gain research funding, whilst expectations of lecturers have been raised owing to the rise in tuition fees.

A second year Law student at Lincoln College commented, “If tutors are feeling the pressure of research funding and are having difficulties in receiving financial support, it could have an impact on their engagement with student teaching.”

Dr Digby Quested, a member of staff in the Oxford Department of Psychiatry, said, “Oxford comes high up in most global academic tables which gives most academics in Oxford credibility among peers.

He added, “This is not likely to change with the fee rise, but would slip if Oxford’s academic status changed. Money, while necessary, is not a major factor as long as they have broadly comparable levels to other academic centres.”

The University spokesperson stated that the Oxford “recognises that work-related stress is always a serious issue and wishes to maintain a positive and supportive working environment for all its staff, by providing guidance to managers on how to alleviate stress among the workforce and clear information on sources of support.”