Aung San Suu Kyi may visit ‘beloved Oxford’

Prime Minister David Cameron has invited Burma’s pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi to the United Kingdom in June to visit her “beloved Oxford.”

Despite reports on Wednesday morning from the BBC and The Guardian stating that the visit had been confirmed by both parties, a spokesperson from Downing Street told Cherwell that this had been “misreported”, and that the visit was still yet to be confirmed by Suu Kyi.

The visit, if it goes ahead, will be her first to the UK since being placed under house arrest in 1989.

Suu Kyi gained a degree in PPE from St Hugh’s College in 1969, where she is now an honorary fellow, and left her husband and children behind in 1988 to lead Burma’s pro-democracy moment against the military junta.

During the press conference, Suu Kyi described the fact that she could say “perhaps” to the invitation, rather than “thank you but sorry” as “great progress” and is currently considering the invitation subject to the timing of the Burmese parliament.

The Prime Minister’s invitation came as part of a series of messages in which he told her that her “courage for standing up for things you believe in has been inspirational.” He also emphasised the role that he hoped to play in Burma’s reforms, stating, “There is a real prospect for change and I’m very much committed to working with you and trying to help make sure that your country makes those changes.”

Nora Godkin and Ebba Lekvall, Co-Presidents and founders of the Oxford Burma Alliance (OBA), told Cherwell, “We hope Cameron’s invitation is a sign that the UK Government intends to maintain and strengthen its support for the pro-democracy movement in Burma,” and added that they hoped the “recent reforms” would be “irreversible.”

Further, the pair expressed a wish that, “If she is able to make the trip, we will be able to show Daw Suu that Oxford students are committed to supporting Burma and the Burmese people on their journey towards democracy and freedom.”

Sara Polakova, JCR president at St Hugh’s, told Cherwell, “To us, as free citizens and free individuals, it seems almost impossible that someone’s desire to change things for the better in their homeland that they love would be answered with such harsh limitation.”

She added, “We are very proud to have such a notable alumnus in our college community. Oxford and St.Hugh’s has changed the lives of every single one of us – it is a life challenge to walk in Aung San Suu Kyi’s footsteps and use this privilege of world-class education to change the lives of others.”

Although no details about the visit can be provided until it is confirmed, an Oxford University spokesperson informed Cherwell, “We would be delighted to welcome her back to the University at any time.”