Pretty in pink

Spring has most definitely sprung, and this year it is unashamedly feminine, dealing in pastels and brights (anything but the dark greys and black of winter) and pink is very much back in the frame.

Forget feminism, fashion’s message this season is to embrace your femininity and all that it is to be a girl. Whether you opt for a bright punchy fuchsia, a tempered pastel, or a 60s candy pink you’ll be hitting the mark. But remember that this pink is classy and elegant- no wannabe Barbies in velour tracksuits here please.

The vibe harks back to the sweet innocence of youth with floral patterns (an easy way to get your pink fix), rose pink ankle socks and T-bar Mary Jane-style shoes (see Topshop’s latest) à la your first day at school, and the continuing obsession with peter pan collars which can be found in some fresh feminine shades at nauticoco.com .

Yet along with this sugary sweetness there should be a sense of the grown-up. Try to keep the pink under control, for example, choose a subtle pale pink blouse rather than the safe white or cream, and pair with other colours in your outfit, or just channel your girly-ness through your make-up – cerise lips, rosy cheeks, or candy pink nails. Also be aware of your textures- keep it light and fresh with cotton blouses, skirts and little socks, sheer fabrics for something a little more daring, and even wools with some nice knitwear for those cooler days during the April showers.

One very important consideration is skin tone. For the paler among us (me included) the pastel pink shades are pure heaven for our skin, and I would warn against going too bright so as to avoid drowning your natural glow. Those blessed with a stronger complexion are lucky enough to be able to pull off subtle shades, but look equally good when they turn up the volume to more striking fuchsias.

For those who are firmly averse to pink, other colours in sorbet and pastel tones can create a very similar feel, think egg shell and peppermint blues, pistachio greens, and fresh lemon yellows. In fact these, teamed with pink, can create a brilliant patchwork of clashing colours (another big trend this season).

This season is playful and light-hearted, and whether you want to be ‘ironic’ about your pink injection, or you embrace the shade wholeheartedly like a long lost friend, what girl could resist the lure of the perfect feminine shade?