Anything with a pulse

Avid readers of this blog (I realise this is probably just my dad and my housemate who is still basking in the glory of having rhymed dozen with oven and come up with its name) might have noticed that I’m a big fan of pulses. Chick peas especially, but honestly when it comes to student cooking my philosophy is much the same as the guy who just downed 7 VKs at Park End – I really would do anything with a pulse.

Lentils have a bad reputation. They’re two main associations seem to be wearing hemp and farting, and let’s face it that is no way to go far in life. But if you have a couple of quid and you’re really bloody hungry they are such a great solution. So are split peas, chick peas, cannellini beans… They are so cheap, and so flexible. They absorb spices and they taste better the next day. Some come in a bag, some come in a can, but whatever the packaging they usually cost about 45p. I don’t really know how else to convince you, so I guess I’ll let the recipes do the talking. Enjoy!

Coconut Daal

Serves 4

The only real effort here is chopping the chillies – if they’re at all spicy it means you can’t change your contact lenses for days and everyone has heard that story about the guy who went to the loo and… well, there’s a solution! Buy pre-chopped chillies in a jar (usually preserved in vinegar or similar) and use them. They’re really similar tasting in the end and more cost-effective.

500g yellow split peas

2 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, halved and sliced thinly

3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed

1 thumb-sized lump of ginger, finely chopped or grated

2 chillies, or 1 ½ tsp of chopped chillies

2 tsp garam masala

1 can plum tomatoes

1 can coconut milk

some fresh coriander, if you’re feeling flash

Boil the split peas for about 30 mins in water (don’t add salt at this stage). While they’re boiling, put some oil in the pan (or butter tastes amazing, but not if you’re watching the waist line) and add the onions. Cook this very low for about 10-15 mins so they onions are soft.

Turn up the heat a little and add garlic, ginger and the chopped chillies and cook for 2-3 mins. Add 2 tsp garam masala and half the can of plum tomatoes (adding 1sp of sugar at this stage will get rid of any acidity). Simmer for a further five mins.

Once they’re cooked (soft but not mushy) drain the split peas and add them to the mixture and then add the coconut milk. Try it at this stage, and add salt (quite a lot) and pepper according to taste before simmering for 10 mins. This will allow all the flavours to mingle and also soften the split peas a bit more. Serve with brown rice, white rice or rotis and a little coriander if you have it.

Lentil shepherds pie

Serves 4

This sounds so dull. The kind of thing you’d see on a menu in a vegetarian restaurant and rue the day Linda McCartney was ever born. But it’s actually bloody delicious… and there’s a meaty recipe below if you preferred John anyway.

100g brown lentils

1kg potatoes

A knob of butter (how does that still make me laugh?) and some milk

2 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced

2 carrots, finely chopped

200g(ish) mushrooms

400g tin tomatoes

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1tsp (each) dried oregano, thyme and rosemary

some cheese

Put the oven on at about 200 degrees C (Gas 6, but don’t know F so google it). Boil the lentils until tender (it’s easiest to follow packet instructions if there are any, but it usually takes about half an hour). At the same time, peel and put on the potatoes (which will take a similar time to cook if chopped into small-ish chunks).

While those two are boiling, heat some oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic and carrots. Cook them until they are starting to soften and then add the mushrooms and cook for a further five minutes.

Once the lentils are cooked, add them to this mixture with the tomatoes, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. While that’s cooking drain the (hopefully now cooked) potatoes and mash with some butter and milk. Then add the lentil mix to a dish (making sure it’s ovenproof) and cover with the potato and then some cheese. Cook for half an hour. Dreams.

Cheap cassoulet

Serves 2

1 large chorizo cooking sausage (250g ish) or 3 spicy or merguez sausages

1 large onion

3 cloves of garlic

2 carrots

1 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp chili flakes / crushed chilies

1 glass white wine (or 1 tbsp white wine vinegar)

1 can plum tomatoes

1 can cannellini beans, drained

salt and pepper

Put the olive oil in a pan and start to warm. Add onions and start to soften. Then add chorizo / spicy or merguez sausages and cook until the oil starts to ooze out. Add garlic and carrots into the pan and allow to cook until the onions are totally soft and the carrots are starting to soften (don’t allow the garlic – or sausage – to burn).

Then add oregano and chili flakes and either a glass of white wine or 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar and a small wine glass of water – allow to boil for 30 seconds. Add the can of chopped tomatoes, the can of cannellini beans and another glass of water and then allow to simmer (low boil) for 20-30 mins.