Infamous animal activist on trial again

The notorious Oxford animal rights activist Mel Broughton will stand trial once again for the alleged firebomb attacks against the University in 2006 and 2007.

Broughton, age 48, appeared at Oxford Crown Court on Monday. He denied  charges of conspiracy to commit arson and possession of articles with intent to destroy property.

These charges relate to a fire in the Queen’s College sports pavilion in November 2006 and the explosive devices found in Templeton College in February 2007.

Broughton was granted by bail by Judge Julian Hall, who imposed “stringent conditions” on his bail application. Broughton is banned from entering Oxfordshire or from conducting any animal rights activities. Further bail conditions were not revealed to the public.

The re-trial is set for 15th June 2010. This will be the third time that Broughton has been tried for the attacks. This comes after Lord Justice Thomas quashed Broughton’s previous conviction last Wednesday in the Court of Appeal.

The first trial collapsed in November 2008 when the jury were unable to come to a verdict.

Broughton was sentenced to ten years in prison in February 2009. He was told he must serve at least five years before being eligible for release.

However, Lord Justice Thomas ruled that an error in the way the trial judge had summated the evidence to the jury meant his conviction was “unsafe”.