University press officer dies in an accident

University Press Officer Katie Haines died on Thursday 18th February after suffering what is thought to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

She was discovered by her husband Richard as he returned to their home in Wokingham, Berkshire after work. She was 31 years old.

Both Richard Haines and paramedics attempted to resuscitate Katie, who was found lying unconscious in the bathtub of the couple’s home. Police and fire services were also called to the house in Barkham Road, Wokingham.

Katie had been working at the Press Officer since April 2008 and had regular contact with several Cherwell reporters. She had previously worked as a journalist, and had contributed to such papers as The Sunday Times, Daily Express and The Sun.

Ruth Collier, Head of the University’s Press & Information Office, said “Katie was a wonderful person and a very talented colleague. I and my press office colleagues loved working with her, as did everyone around the University she came into contact with. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with Katie’s husband, parents and siblings.”
“She was always really helpful and reliable,” said Marta Szczerba, Cherwell editor.

Richard and his parents Gordon and Jackie, who were staying at the house, were also treated after inhaling the gas, along with six neighbours from two other homes. The couple’s cat was found dead in the hallway, and allegedly alerted Richard to the problem initially.

The Sun reported that Katie is “believed to have inhaled deadly carbon monoxide leaking from a faulty boiler after she turned it on to heat her bath water.”
Before training as a journalist at Lambeth College, in London, she had obtained a degree in English and French from Manchester University.

She married Richard Haines, 30, in December 2009 and had only recently returned from their honeymoon in South America. Her Facebook profile picture shows her and her husband in front of the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas, and according to the NHS “even breathing in a small amount can cause loss of consciousness and death.”

Katie’s father, Gordon Samuel, who is co-owner of a renowned Mayfair art gallery the Osborne Samuel gallery, released a statement on her death along with his wife Avril, Katie’s husband and her siblings Adam and Lydia.

The family said “we have been told by the doctors

that she appears to have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, possibly from a boiler, but do not wish to speculate on this until we have the result of further medical tests.”

They also said that “Katie was the perfect daughter who was as bright as she was beautiful. My wife and I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect little girl. She never gave us a second of worry in her short life.” They said her career as a press officer was “a job she loved and was very proud to do.”

The Watford Observer, where Katie worked as a trainee journalist between 2002 and 2004, said she was “fondly remembered by staff as a sports lover and keen runner.”