Police patrols increase after a series of Oxford thefts

Oxford police have been heavily engaged in efforts to ensure the safety of those studying at language schools in the city.

‘Operation Buzzard’ involves officers making high-visibility patrols on the Blackbird Leys estate. Foreign students and young tourists have been targeted by thieves in recent months, with ten robberies recorded since the beginning of July.

One language school has now stopped sending female students to the estate. Shaena Whitney, accommodation and welfare officer for the Oxford Language Centre commented, “We don’t use Blackbird Leys very much now and I would certainly not put the young girls out there because they just don’t feel comfortable when they get off the bus.”

Ana Vucetic, also a law student, expressed similar concerns, “There are noticeably fewer police than I’m used to seeing [in America], particularly in places and at times where their attendance would be comforting, such as outside clubs on Friday nights.”

In response, two ‘safe havens’ for students have been established, one at The Ozone Bowlplex and another at Blackbird Leys Leisure Centre. Students can seek help there if they are feeling unsafe.

Ben Oakley-Rowland, Assistant Manager of the Leisure Centre confirmed that they have agreed to “allow [foreign students] to use telephones et cetera to make contact with relevant parties.” 

He added, “To my knowledge we have had not had to offer our services as a safe haven.”

Neighbourhood Sgt Rob Axe commented, “The neighbourhood team will continue to carry out high visibility patrols throughout August, along with officers who have been dedicated to the operation, Thames Valley Police Mounted Section and Oxford City Council Street Wardens.”

Martin Ström, a Swedish second-year lawyer at St Anne’s College, suggested improvements to policing could be a solution, remarking, “the police could be more visible to make their presence more apparent.”

Det. Sgt. Steve Raffield, of Oxford’s Robbery Team said, “I would like to send a warning to those people who choose to commit robberies in Blackbird Leys – we will identify who you are and you will be arrested.

“I would urge anyone walking in Blackbird Leys in the evening to take extra care and be vigilant of what is happening around them.”