5th week: no blues

Hello.

U2 – Get On Your Boots *

The advantage of reviewing U2 is that you can’t moan, as with most other bands, that they’re trying to sound like them. The disadvantage is that you have to listen to songs like this. On the plus side, good harmonies, and a toe-tappin’ rhythm. On the minus, well. Bono raps. Yes indeed. ‘I don’t want to talk about the wars between the nations’ – implausible, but on the face of it a welcome comment. That’s until he starts talking about ‘sexy boots’ instead. Dismally boring guitar from The Edge. Silly, silly falsettos. And a general regressiveness to the worst sort of teenage-boy sensibilities.

Empire Of The Sun – Walking On A Dream ****

First, a warning, and apology. Their album of the same name, also released today, will not make them this year’s MGMT. This is because, broadly speaking, it is gimmicky and shit. This single, however, makes like a sun-drenched, high-pitched Daft Punk and, though derivative, is really rather fine.

The Virgins – Teen Lovers *

Any of you remember how awful I told you this band was at the start of the year? I’d remind you but I can’t be bothered to spell-check Jamariquoi again. Though RHCP is easier to type. Bored already.

The Soft Pack – Nightlife **

This band stands out for having the least professional myspace I’ve ever seen. In all other departments – heavy sparse bass, wo-wos, and that whole thing where you try and sound like a less-privileged Vampire Weekend – they’ve come a little late to the party.

The Days – No Ties (no stars either)

God, this is just awful, isn’t it? They’ve nicked the drums from Guillemots’ ‘Trains To Brazil’ and plastered Slade guitars, Scouting For Girls’ harmonies and Justin Hawkins’ falsetto all over them. It’s a scatalogical approach akin to smearing shit all over a work of art.

Well that wasn’t exactly much fun…

Something Old, Something New

Ralph McTell – Alphabet Zoo

If you have a very young cousin, nephew/niece, that sort of thing, then why not inculcate them with a life-long nous for good song-craft by getting them this collection of 27 (there are two Ns) folk-pop gems by the genius behind ‘Streets Of London’? Or simply make it your guiltiest of guilty pleasures.

Morrissey – Years Of Refusal

Sometimes you have to stop trying to be trendy and just give in to the inevitable, which is to buy every new record the old curmudgeon comes up with, even if it’s more sodding ‘rock’ rather than proper pop or indie. Ah well.

Feel the weary resignation? I suppose I’ll be here again next week…