10th Week III

30 Crystal Castles – Vanished The most radio-friendly single by the rather too cool electro duo

29 The Long Blondes – The Couples Again, no link – the band have sadly split after two records, and this peach of a pop song was the title track of the second. Like Blondie at their best

28 Yeasayer – 2080 Best use of a kid’s choir since Radiohead last year…also genius futureafroscifipop as sharp as a Gillette Mach 4. Just pips their other great tune, Sunrise

27 Stornoway – We Are The Battery Human Best use of a banjo since pretty well ever, on this giddy protest song against 9-5 jobs and waste paper

26 Dodos – Winter Recently reviewed; the most infectious strain from their superb if dyslexic album Visiter

25 Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire This was huge, but for once it deserved it; pop surely manufactured by German Bond villians in secret laboratories and slick shades. Great drumming too

24 CSS Left Behind It still sounds suspiciously like something else, and it’s still not as interesting as their first album. But it’s still bloody good to boot

23 Bloc Party – Mercury This promised so much. So much. Shame the album let it down.

22 Lightspeed Champion – Midnight Surprise Indie’s very own ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ from the sweet as pie Dev Hynes. From the opening slide, it warms the marrow…

21 Santogold – Lights Out Inconsistent yes, but with this, ‘LES Artistes’ and ‘I’m A Lady’, Santi White gave us three brilliant brilliant tunes

20-11 to follow soon.