Jack McManus – ‘Either Side of Midnight’

4 stars out of 5
I must say I had several preconceptions when I received Either Side of Midnight. The understated style attempted on the album cover and McManus’ ‘cool’ projections in the media and on the CD case filled me with unease. Upon beginning the opening tracks I was expecting chirpy and inoffensive, yet bland and unoriginal songs. ‘A solid three stars’, I sighed inwardly as I sat down. As the stellar-based measure of goodness above shows, my
fears were only partially borne out.

Either Side of Midnight is packed from start to finish with upbeat melodies created by McManus and his piano that are truly pleasing to listen to. Jack’s voice is pleasant if unremarkable given the number and quality of musicians of his style around at the moment. Instrumental lines are generally piano led, but acoustic guitar and strings are used to create a rich sound more frequently as the album progresses.

Standout tracks including ‘Milky Way’ and ‘Living in a Suitcase’ are amongst the more upbeat songs packing catchy hooks, the most memorable melodies with suitably high tempos. ‘Fine Time To Lose Your Mind’ and ‘You Can Make It Happen’ fall at the other extreme of the album with attempts at a more moody and epic sound that, while not awful by any stretch, still fall short of the quality of other tracks.

Either Side of Midnight fills a niche situated somewhere between Maroon 5 and The Feeling, and with influences including Jack Johnson and Newton Faulkner. This is one reason why McManus’ debut album falls short of receiving five stars. The music is without serious flaws and is perfect for relaxation on a summer’s day but the same can be said of dozens of artists. Jack McManus is a perfect example of happy but inconsequential music.