Union at war over who can run for President

President attempts to overrule Returning Officer after Ex-Presidents fail to oust him
The Union Returning Officer (RO) is at loggerheads with President Emily Partington over who can run in the upcoming elections for Trinity 2008. Partington has attempted to overrule Cameron Penny’s interpretation of eligibility rules, which prevent current Librarian Edward Waldegrave from running. Penny has responded by stating  that “The President does not have the power, within the rules of the society to interpret on matters that fall under the jurisdiction of the Returning Officer.”The dispute follows an unsuccessful attempt by ex-President Luke Tryl to oust Penny as RO.Partington posted a notice in the Union on Wednesday night overruling Penny, questioning his right to overturn an earlier decision by previous RO  Alex Priest.Priest’s decision had opened up the Presidential race and allowed Waldegrave to run, but Penny claims that this was illegitimate because it amended an even earlier ruling.At a Union Standing Committee meeting on Monday 29 January, Tryl called for the dismissal of Penny, saying that he had “lost confidence in the entire system of Deputy Returning Officers.” He stated that he disagreed with the eligibility criteria imposed by Penny. Tryl claimed that the Returning Officers were not interpreting Union rules correctly, leading to an unfair restriction of those eligible to enter the race.“What is the fundamental harm in opening up our elections? It’s becoming slightly ridiculous,” Tryl said. “Unfortunately what I fear has happened is that a clique has appeared in the Deputy Returning Officers.”
Penny defended himself, saying that the previous Returning Officer had been wrong to overturn his original decision, because “he had not sought the authority of a higher power in making it.”
“I must be shown to be unwilling or unable to carry out my duties,” Penny said.In a secret ballot, six members of the committee supported the removal of Penny, six opposed it, and one abstained. The motion failed as it required a two-thirds majority. Alex Just, another former President, supported Tryl’s attempt to remove Penny, attacking what he called “arbitrary constrictions” on who could run for President.He also said that selecting a President only half a term before they were due to take office would prevent whoever was elected from organising a successful Union term, saying, “I had done 80% of my work by this time last year.”Standing Committee member Ian Wellby argued against Penny’s removal, saying that he was right to revert to the original judgement of Alex Priest, because “the Returning Officer cannot change his own ruling.”“I strongly contest the idea that the Deputy Returning Officers are a clique. It’s utter madness to try to dismiss him,” he added.by David Matthews