Catz feline good after derby win

Magdalen 1 – 3 St Catz IT’S always going to be a big match when first plays second in the race for promotion to the elite of college football, but when  the famous Magdalen – St. Catz rivalry was added to the mix, getting three points from this match went from being important to imperative.
Both sides came into this match in confident form, and it only took five minutes for Catz to forge an advantage. Midfielder Sam Boaden’s long-range effort was tipped over by the Magdalen stopper, Mark Saunders. But Saunders was left useless when  Ryan Taylor’s cross was met by the head of  Jack Robinson at the back post to open the scoring.
It should have been two for the boys in sky blue after Sam Donaldson threaded a great ball through only to see Taylor fluff the effort on his weaker foot.
Instead of Catz building on their lead, however, they allowed the hosts back into the match. The  visiting backline failed to clear their lines and allowed Tom Clark to bisect the two  centre halves, leaving Dan Thompson a simple finish to get Magdalen right back in the game.
Catz finished the half the stronger of the two sides, but Magdalen started the second period better with John Adamson going close, Catz keeper Tom Monteath tipping  a strong drive round the post.
Minutes later the ever impressive Catz right back Pete Jones’ last ditch tackle saved an almost certain goal after Magdalen forward Tom Clark had only the keeper to beat. Then, after Donaldson was forced into a goal line clearance, it seemed a question of when and not if Magdalen would take the lead.
But the opportunities began to dry up and, as the players tired,  the question of how the  captains would manage their substitutes looked as if it would decide who went home with three points, and the bragging rights.
Magdalen were left to rue their missed chances after a quick free quick by Rossa O’Keefe-O’Donovan put Taylor through, although the Magdalen ‘keeper palmed it out for a corner. Taylor found  Robinson again from the set piece, but this time the skipper headed across goal for O’Keefe-O’Donovan to finish the move he started.
After playing a part in the goal, Robinson then went about making changes, with Rich Mason, James MacNaughton and Dave Innes all adding vital energy to a wilting attack as Magdalen upped the tempo in the search for an equalizer. As the game came to a close those substitutions began to count, Mason sending Innes through with a pass that showed vision. The forward then proceeded to beat his man, making no mistake in slotting home a third, sending the Catz supporters wild and the team to the top of the table.