Said School to expand

Oxford University has announced the construction of a new research centre focusing on Business Taxation. The centre has received £5 million in funding from The Hundred Group, and will focus on the impact of taxation on aspects of the economy such as business, public finance and international competition. Several doctoral fellowships will be created in the establishment of the centre which will be based in the Saïd Business School and is expected to be in operation by September 2006. Professor Colin Mayer, an acting director for the creation of the Centre, said “we are extremely excited about the potential of this Centre. This will be the first major research centre of its scale and type in Europe.” The centre will carry out a number of projects evaluating the structure of taxes including corporation tax, and determining how to achieve the optimum balance between business growth and government finance. Further topics of research will include the effect of taxation on international businesses. The Centre plans to research the effect that differing global tax policies have on multinational companies, who often determine the location of their business activities on the tax regimes that operate in a particular country. Professor Colin Mayer emphasised the significance of the Business Taxation Centre for Oxford University, saying “the Centre reflects the fact that beyond the university, outsiders appreciate the practical approach of this research and are keen to support what goes on here.” He added that “this centre demonstrates how well Oxford University can promote partnerships between academics within the university and practitioners in the outside world.”The Business School this month also sees the announcement by the University’s Vice-Chancellor of the creation of stronger links between the School and Templeton College, which specialises in management studies and international business. Professor Michael Earl, Dean of Templeton College, said “the combination of business school and specialist graduate college represents a unique and valuable differentiator in the field of management studies. This reorganisation gives Templeton a wonderful opportunity to focus on being a very modern Oxford college.”ARCHIVE: 1st week MT 2005