Shock Deech resignation

Dame Ruth Deech, Principal of St Anne’s College, announced her retirement in an open letter to staff and students at the College last Sunday. Dame Ruth has never shirked controversy, and she has been described as “never afraid to challenge or to act” by a member of St Anne’s JCR. She has attracted media attention for her active role in the Jewish community and as a prominent supporter of the state of Israel and critic of British media coverage of the country. She remarked, “one cannot separate anti-Israel from anti-Semitism” Dame Ruth has revealed the three aims she set for herself when she was elected as Principal of St Anne’s in 1991. Her first aim was to lift St Anne’s academically, something she certainly achieved, with the College ranked eighth in this years Norrington Table. Secondly, she hoped to ‘beautify’ the College, something that the ongoing building works should in time accomplish. The third task she set was to improve the College finances; something, which she admits, has been “very difficult”. When asked about higher education funding, Dame Ruth said that she wished students didn’t have to pay towards their tuition but that the “need for funds is desperate”. The proposed figure of £5000 is deemed “too low” by Deech and believes the very term ‘top-up’ fees is something of a misnomer, as students’ education is already heavily subsidised by conference guests and corporate donors. Dame Ruth writes on family law and continues as a BBC Governor.ARCHIVE: 1st Week MT2003